Re: [xsl] XSL-FO to PDF conversion speed

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO to PDF conversion speed
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 23:23:58 +0100 (IST)
On Sun, September 29, 2013 11:46 am, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> We are talking about only two pages of PDF output. I must admit that
> those two pages contain a hell of a lot of complex tables. Is that the
> problem?

Possibly.  FOP only supports fixed table layout, so it's not going to be
the case that FOP is spending a lot of time trying to optimise the column
widths based on the content.

> Is there any way to speed up to XSL-FO to PDF step?
>
> 1)      Would a commercial FO-processor help me out?

Possibly, but it's a bit hard to tell from your description.

xmlroff is faster, but it implements less than FOP.

> 2)      Is there any tutorial around for how to optimize the FO
> conversion speed?

None that I know of.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[1] https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html