[xsl] Using Saxon 2.0 with FOP, XEP, Antenna House

Subject: [xsl] Using Saxon 2.0 with FOP, XEP, Antenna House
From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:31:33 +0200
Hi list

FOP, XEP and Antenna House come out of the box with XSLT 1.0
processors, Xalan, Saxon, MSXML.

I would like to use a Saxon XSLT 2.0 processor, but have a problem.
Let me use Antenna House as example.

If I make a bat file, and first do the XML to FO transformation using
a Saxon XSLT 2.0 processor, output FO to a file, and then in the same
bat file use AH to transform the FO file to pdf, it works but it is
much, much, much slower, a crawl compared to running.

When using MSXML and AH, I have a feeling that AH takes over the FO
file from XSLT from memory.

Now, instead of specifying the two processors in the bat file, in AH
you can just specify AH in the bat file, and use a configuration file
to setup Saxon. The XSLT line in the config file could look like this,
based on AH documentation :

<xslt-settings msxml="false" command="SaxonHE9.5N/bin/Transform
-o:&#34;%3&#34; &#34;%1&#34; &#34;%2&#34;"/>

It works. But the result is so slow that it is my guess that the
config file is simply doing what is similar to two separate
transformations in the bat file.

Conclusion: It looks to me that Antenna House at the command line is
optimized to use MSXML and that any other XSLT processor will be much,
much, much slower.

Are the above true for AH or have I overlooked something? And what
about FOP and XEP? Are they also optimized to work much faster with
the build in XSLT processor, at least at the command line?

 Regards
Jesper Tverskov