[xsl] Java Extension Optimization

Subject: [xsl] Java Extension Optimization
From: Craig Sampson <Craig.Sampson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:04:57 +0000
Hello,
  I have several java extensions that I use to pass data to other processes
from my transforms. I've been using xml:message's to write unnecessary values
to my log file to prevent Saxon from discarding my variables, since it doesn't
see them used/referenced in my transform.

  Here's an example:

            <xsl:variable name="keepGraphic"
select="xisComDocRsrcs:addImage($commonDocResources,'arrow_summary_path.gif')
"/>
            <xsl:if test="$keepGraphic=true()">
              <xsl:message>xislog~debug::keepGraphic arrow_summary_path.gif
<xsl:value-of select="$keepGraphic"/></xsl:message>
            </xsl:if>

  In this case I am letting the extension know that I want a particular
graphic included with the deliverable that I am creating. This extension
prevents unused graphics from finding their way into EPUB deliverables where
they cause problems.

  Is there a better way to prevent Saxon from discarding my extension that
doesn't require me to write something to an output stream?

Thanks,
   Craig