Re: [xsl] xsl 2.0?

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl 2.0?
From: Toshihiko Makita <tmakita@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 00:41:46 +0900
Dear Liam Quin,

Thank you for your reply.

Your comment referred to the company Antenna House. Your description may
be true.
For your understanding I am only a application developer and I am not
concerned to actual development of Antenna House Formatter.
All of my questions or opinions are personal and they does not represent
the intention of company.

>Several major book publishers are using CSS-like solutions - including
Antenna House's, which adds some 200 custom properties that are not
really part of CSS, >and including YesLogic's PrinceXML formatter which
is more limited in some ways but handles XML, not just XHTML, and
supports OpenType.
>There's a lot of pressure on CSS and on browser vendors from ebook
publishers (and ebook user communities), so the CSS Working Group
participants are >starting to take what they call paged media much more
seriously.

Yes, I know that several publishers like O'Reilly has moved from XSL-FO
to CSS. And eBook publisher will have lots of requests for CSS because
epub stand on the HTML5 technology. However I have basic question. What
is the *MOST* fundamental benefit of CSS technology comparing XSL-FO in
paged media?

If an paper media and eBook media coexists for the moment, is CSS most
suitable for this situation?

I have been engaged developing stylesheets that converts various XML
documents into XSL-FO. I know that there are many challenges left in
automatic document formatting world. So I think it is not a good news
for the XSL-FO users that W3C stop developing XSL2.0.

Regards,

--
 Toshihiko Makita