Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed

Subject: Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed
From: Hank Ratzesberger <xml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:52:11 -0800
Hi Tim,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Timothy W. Cook <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> Self-contained sounds good.  However, since an XML document can point
> to another document, such as a schema. Doesn't it make sense that the
> syntactic and semantic parameters are defined in one place?  I am
> "assuming" that there are many, many data files created from one
> instrument, sensitivity/scale, geo-location, etc. ???

Yes.  I attempted to do this by using an an eXist XML database
  http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/homepage/index.html
as collections of XML documents.

After leaving my work with the seismologist, he complained "why aren't we
using MySQL and JQuery?" So that application isn't running any longer for me
to show you, but you were able get to any one of them via their url,
or use XQuery (a mistake ridden example, but something like)

  http://my.org/data/events/2010/030/station-name-uid.xml
  http://my.org/data/events[date &gt; 2010-03-01][date &lt;
2010-03-31][station=nameof]
  http://my.org/data?query=for $x in
collection(/db/events)//event[date &gt; 2013-11-01] return $x

so, with some url rewriting or allowing reserved characters, the whole
repository was online with an XPath or XQuery interface.

It seemed like a good pairing of REST, "Good URL's", and XML. My attempt
to make the "one place" a permanent url.

 --Hank