Re: [xsl] Does XSLT have a run-time system?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Does XSLT have a run-time system?
From: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:20:24 +0100
On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26/12/2013, James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> case in point, DBase from the 1980's had a developer and runtime
>> license ... the cost of the runtime license was a lot lower but you
>> would need volume, the developer license was quite expensive. In this
>> instance, the RTS served as a 'dongle' to charge more money. I suspect
>> the emergence of open source licensing has helped diminish artificial
>> licensing practices but have no data to back up that statement.
>>

> DBase III was around as early as 1975, and IIRC, the runtime license
> permitted to
> many end users to run programs developed by a single developer with
> the costly license, something that was not considered unreasonably then.

I used dBASE IV in the late 80's which had impressive visual RAD for
non programing users to build forms and C++ extension but was
seriously buggy ... anyhow yes you are right about the runtime license
but it had a lot of fine print which hit us particularly hard (outside
US, in enterprise environments, etc).