[xsl] Representing EBCDIC code 37 in xslt

Subject: [xsl] Representing EBCDIC code 37 in xslt
From: a kusa <akusa8@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:50:39 -0600
Hello:

I have an issue with representing EBCDIC code 37 in XSLT. I am
converting an XML file to a flat file and ftping from unix to
mainframe. I am not sure where to start debugging this issue. Here is
the issue:

I have latin-1 special characters like the plusminus sign, the
registered trademark, fraction one half that I need to convert to
EBCDIC code 37 values. I am using xslt 2.0. So I have an output
character map defined for these special characters. So I have:

<xsl:output-character character="." string="&#175;"/>

As you can see from my example, I have tried the exact EBCDIC value.
When this converts into a text file which is what I am doing, I get
this strange gibberish character in the output -B..

But when I view it on the mainframe server, it is converted to a period(.)

I have tried using encoding in utf-8 and iso-8859-1. Nothing works.

Is there anything I can do in XSLT 2.0 to convert these characters
into the right format that mainframe accepts?

Any tips?

Thanks.