Re: [xsl] Designing streamable XPath expressions

Subject: Re: [xsl] Designing streamable XPath expressions
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 21:03:54 +0000
In the XSLT 3.0 specification, the expression count(//section/head) is
streamable. This is explained in section 19.1

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#pattern-scanning

Specifically, because //section/head is a motionless pattern, it can be
evaluated in a single pass scanning all descendants in document order.

However, the expression

distinct-values(//section/head)

would not be streamable, because at analysis time you cannot tell that there
will be no overlapping <head> elements.

Saxon in these cases is more liberal than the XSLT 3.0 specification; it
treats such expressions as streamable, and if necessary does some run-time
buffering to cope with overlapping elements if they actually exist.

Michael Kay
Saxonica