Re: [xsl] Does the count() function require access to the whole subtree?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Does the count() function require access to the whole subtree?
From: John Lumley <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:30:24 +0000
Imagine a tree which contains somewhere an element whose name is X. Let's call
that x1. A descendant of x1 is another element with name X. Let's call that
x2.

Invoking //X of course discovers both x1 and x2. Each has its own tree - it's
node and it's subtrees. But the tree of x1 overlaps that of x2 - some members
of the tree of x1 are in the tree of x2 (In this case it is a total overlap,
for other expressions it could be partial.)

John

> On 14 Jan 2014, at 10:11, "Costello, Roger L." <costello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Yesterday Michael Kay wrote:
>
>    //x is a "crawling" expression - one that selects
>    nodes which may overlap each other.
>
> Michael, I do not understand what you mean by "overlap". It seems like an
important concept, since you have used that word repeatedly.