[xsl] Thanks for <xsl:iterate>

Subject: [xsl] Thanks for <xsl:iterate>
From: David Sewell <dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 17:18:03 -0500 (EST)
Just wanted to say "thank you" to the XSLT Working Group and implementors for the functionality of <xsl:iterate> in 3.0, which I've just found my first use case for (I'm sure it won't be the last). I had transformed a large corpus of text documents (all children of single XML document instance) to another syntax, using position() to assign ID numbers to the output format. During a correction cycle, some of the original text documents were deleted. That meant that IDs generated using position() would be out of synch with the prior output.

Solution, adding processing instructions to mark deletions, and use those to increment a counter via <xsl:next-iteration> to add to the value of position(). Very simple + logical. (And not evil, as saxon:assign() would have been in the old days.)

DS

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA
Email: dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx   Tel: +1 434 924 9973