[xsl] FO. Designing a title page. Laying out blocks.

Subject: [xsl] FO. Designing a title page. Laying out blocks.
From: "Kerry, Richard" <richard.kerry@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:17:51 +0000

I've now got a bit of time to continue with my attempt at a set of DocBook
stylesheets, and associated build scripts, for some of my department's
documentation.  What I'm trying to do now is to sort out the title page for
the PDF (via FO) version.  (I posted a picture of what I'm looking for in an
earlier post, so I won't do so again here)
I think a good way to progress this is to design the title page in XSL-FO and
then work out how to reverse engineer it into the stylesheets, so that's how
I'm trying to do it.  I've taken the FO as produced by the DocBook stylesheet
and formatted it to put in some indentation to make it easier to work on, and
now I'm altering the static-content corresponding to the title page.

In particular I need to get a couple of plain coloured rectangles on the
page.
They need to ignore the margins, ie to extend to various of the edges of the
page, and to appear behind the footer (and the header if there was one).
As far as I can tell the only way to do this is using fo:block-container with
@position=fixed.  And the z-index set if necessary to ensure it appears to be
behind the footer.

- Can anyone confirm that this is the best (or indeed only) way of doing this,
or let me know if there is another construct that would be preferred for
generating coloured blocks on a page.  The first one is just a solid colour,
along one edge.  The next one will be white (opaque) and have a coloured
border, and some text in it - not the title, the product name and a document
category.

- Also, how do I get a block to be at the bottom of its containing block (or
block-container) ?
Normally if I just add blocks within a block they get put at the top of the
available space.  I'd expect something like "align=bottom" but that doesn't
seem to exist.

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Kerry
BNCS Engineer, SI SOL Telco & Media Vertical Practice
T: +44 (0)20 3618 2669
M: +44 (0)7812 325518
G300, Stadium House, Wood Lane, London, W12 7TA
richard.kerry@xxxxxxxx

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely
for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity
cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be
triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain
a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this
transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting
from any virus transmitt