[xsl] A few gems from Michael Kay's talk at XML Prague 2014

Subject: [xsl] A few gems from Michael Kay's talk at XML Prague 2014
From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 10:33:07 +0000
Hi Folks,

I am watching a video of a talk that Michael Kay gave at the XML Prague 2014
last week. He is a fantastic speaker. Below are a few gems from his talk on
XSLT.

Measuring the success of XSLT 2.0
What is the state of XSLT 2.0? There are mixed views on the success of XSLT
2.0. Some people will tell you that there aren't any XSLT 2.0 implementations.
Actually there are lots of implementations:

- Saxon
- Altova
- IBM Websphere
- Intel SOA
- MarkLogic
- XQSharp
- Frameless
- Exselt

There are far more implementations of XSLT 2.0 than there are, for example, of
PHP and no one would tell you that PHP is a failure. Measured by the number of
implementations, XSLT 2.0 is an enormous success.

See time 2:54:15 in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUPzeeW4Xg

----------------------------
XSLT 2.0 applications
----------------------------
People are writing big XSLT applications.

Here is a sample of the XSLT applications in the public domain:

	DocBook has 230,000 lines of XSLT code
	in 357 modules

	DITA has 75,000 lines of XSLT code
	in 255 modules

	TEI has 101,000 lines of XSLT code
	in 303 modules

Those are in the public domain. If you look at what the publishing house have
or what the banks have, I'm sure you can find far bigger collections of XSLT
programs.

People are using XSLT as a very serious programming language for writing big
systems.

See time 3:01:55 in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUPzeeW4Xg