Re: [xsl] XPath 3.0 question: What are function annotations?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath 3.0 question: What are function annotations?
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 16:13:57 +0000
On 1 Mar 2014, at 23:26, Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the XPath 3.0 Proposed Recommendation, section, 3.1.5.3 "Function
> Coercion", http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-30/#id-function-coercion
>
> describes the properties of the function returned by the coercion ...
>
> My question is: What are function annotations and why they are nowhere
> defined in the document?

Function annotations are defined in the Data Model spec as part of the
signature of a function value:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel-30/#function-items

The data model spec also mentions that for XPath the annotations will always
be an empty set.

This is consistent with the statement in the XPath section on function
coercion which states that the annotations in the result function are the same
as the annotations in the input function.

So there's not actually a technical error in the spec; it's just not as
helpful as it might be.

Michael Kay
Saxonica