[xsl] Re: Self-Recursive Templates that split, Performance tips?

Subject: [xsl] Re: Self-Recursive Templates that split, Performance tips?
From: David Rudel <fwqhgads@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:40:13 +0100
On the way back from the dentist, I figured that there is a rather
obvious solution to this sort of thing.

You can create a "queue" variable that stores "new instances to be done later".

In case it is not clear what I mean, using the AMOEBA example we would have:

<xsl:template name="AMOEBA">
<xsl:param name="queue" as="item()*"/>
<xsl:param name="location" as="xs:double+"/>
<xsl:param name="terrain" as="map(*)"/>

And then whenever you hit a situation where you need to split the
process, you add the new parameters to the $queue variable so that
they get processed whenever the current thread completes:

In the AMOEBA case, that might mean making the following call:
<xsl:call-template name="AMOEBA">
<xsl:with-param name="queue" select="(alternate_location,
alternate_terrain, $queue)"/>
<xsl:with-param name="location" select="new.location"/>
<xsl:with-param name="terrain" select="new.terrain"/>
</xsl:call-template>

where "alternate_location" and "alternate_terrain" are the inputs that
would be split off in the original example.

Then, when the current recursive process ends, you make a call with
starting info coming from the queue:

<xsl:call-template name="AMOEBA">
<xsl:with-param name="queue" select="tail(tail($queue))"/>
<xsl:with-param name="location" select="head($queue)"/>
<xsl:with-param name="terrain" select="head(tail($queue))"/>
</xsl:call-template>

-David