Re: [xsl] When to use text()

Subject: Re: [xsl] When to use text()
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 17:19:32 +0000
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 04:38:55PM +0000, Ihe Onwuka scripsit:
>> I am arguing against RTFM as a stock response.
>>
>> There are times when it is definitely appropriate, but  I don't think
>> this is one of them.
>
> "What are the node types used in XML, and how are they defined?" isn't a
> question where anyone can be expected to intuit a correct answer.

thats a different question

> That's what you'd have to do to understand that "text()" means by
> inspection.

Anything can be  difficult to comprehend if you give it  a quirky
definition. What I am arguing against is the justification for the
combination of

a) doing that

and

b) responding with RTFM

The quirkiness of the definition derives not from the definition
itself, because there may well be justification for the existence of a
node type that encompasses text with embedded comments. Thats OK.

The quirkiness derives from giving it an innocuous intuit inducing
moniker like text() that leads the consumer astray.

Let me parallel. If you call a concept Nothing and then occasionally
allow it to contain Something, RTFTM is not appropriate because the
fault lies in labelling that concept Nothing.