Re: [xsl] Managing debug logging in complex transforms: what do people do?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Managing debug logging in complex transforms: what do people do?
From: Brian Chrisman <brchrisman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:42:04 -0700
fpr what my opinion is worth, I generally do a few things:
- have debugging everywhere and strip debug elements/attributes after
output with a separate transform
- preprocess the stylesheet, inserting debug logging (I think one
example was when there was an apply-templates, for-each, or something
similar with parent::xsl:copy, then preprocessor would add an
xsl:attribute with the attribute in a debug namespace ahead of the
instruction with the value count(@select)... or I might've just
polluted the attribute axis, I can't remember this one...)
- I try to split my transforms into smaller pipelined units, so I can
view intermediate result documents (for me, everything except code
generators starts with an identity template, and I split the
commuting/commutative transform elements as much as possible)

(caveat: mostly for data sizes much smaller than available memory)
(caveat: all my work has been in 1.0 though I'm picking up 2.0 stuff,
going through novachev's pluralsight course right now and have found
it to be an excellent resource)

- Brian

I like to keep debug outside of my code as much as possible...