Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World
From: John Lumley <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:49:46 +0000
On 24/03/2014 21:54, Liam R E Quin wrote:
Similarly XSLT; someone familiar with procedural programming might come to XSLT and say, "when I see the Poem start tag I want to put out a <div> tag, and when I see the Poem end tag I want a </p> tag"
Funnily enough, having used XML, exclusively within the XSLT programming environment, for almost a decade, I've never thought programmatically about start tags and end tags, nor for that matter SAX events etc. For me XML is a tree - how it's (de-)serialised is a separate matter from the programmatic manipulation, and frankly one I don't get deeply involved in, save when I'm trying to work out why the (x)HTML[4|5] doesn't work ;-)

Having written in dozens and dozens of very varied languages over many many years (from Fortran-IV and PL/I to Tcl/Tk, Perl, Prolog, Visual Janus, Mathematica, Haskell, XSLT3) one gets quite used to (and enjoy) totally different paradigms.

[Actually I lie - the Java for my PDF->SVG converter does have startElement(), startContent(), endElement() methods..... but that's all.]

-- *John Lumley* MA PhD CEng FIEE john@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Saxonica Ltd