[xsl] XSLT compact syntax(es) [Was: XSLT Hello World - outreach]

Subject: [xsl] XSLT compact syntax(es) [Was: XSLT Hello World - outreach]
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:15:22 -0000 (GMT)
On Thu, March 27, 2014 5:59 pm, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 27/03/2014 17:54, Richard Fozzard - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>> David et al,
>>
>> Brilliant! I just*love*  this thought of XSLT with more readable
>> syntax.
>

> It's been suggested several times, and there have been one or two
> implementations. That is also more or less one description of Xquery.
>
> I think one reason they've all failed (apart from Xquery which doesn't
> describe itself that way) is that XSLT is in XML _for a reason_ It makes
> handling templates consisting of XML fragments entirely natural (within
> the unnatural context that is an XML parser).

Let me count the ways...

 - XSLTXT - the XSLT compact form
   https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/xsltxt/

 - compactxml
   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/compactxml

 - NiceXSL
   http://nicexsl.sourceforge.net/html/overview.html

 - Carrot
   http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol7/html/Lenz01/BalisageVol7-Lenz01.html

 - RXSLT
   http://www.wilmott.ca/rxslt/rxslt.pdf

 - Lx
   http://nxg.me.uk/dist/lx/

 - Alternative SDL-like XSLT Syntax
   http://www.gerixsoft.com/blog/xslt/sdl-syntax

 - XQuery 3.0
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-30/

and there's probably more that I couldn't find in a quick search.

As David points out, none of these (apart from XQuery) are used generally
enough to be generally useful.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                         tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                       http://www.mentea.net
Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C    XML Guild member
Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming