Re: [xsl] Things that make you go Hmmmm!

Subject: Re: [xsl] Things that make you go Hmmmm!
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 20:09:01 +0000
On 29/03/2014 19:55, Alex Muir wrote:
deep-text() or all-text-nodes(), something like that might have made
things more clear. Actually to be honest I don't care much about
that.

would you also change node() and element() and attribute() which all work the same way and also have a "singular" name?

It should though be easier to change things in a language if they are really a source for misunderstanding from my viewpoint. Changing something like a name moving from one version to another can't be that problematic.

I really disagree here. The vast majority of XSLT 1 stylesheets work unchanged on XSLT 2 systems so you can flip between systems when necessary or share "utility" stylesheets that are imported into xslt1 and xslt2 stylesheets. Breaking that functionality just for a name change (even if the change itself wasn't highly dubious) would be a really bad step.

HTML has remained popular not least because a current browser can still
run "html 1" documents from 1998, it doesn't have separate modes for
every version. (well if we avoid mentioning IE :-)

David