Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Hello World - outreach
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:30:11 -0400
Ihe,

> You overcome their objections by pointing out something suckier that
> they already do or were prepared to do. This is again easier to do if
> you are not dealing with an IT person as you are less likely to get
> drawn into a holy war and you can get away with what would otherwise
> be heretical.
>
> Address performance objections by saying that your X-Fu system doesn't
> need to be on the critical path - it can be used to create
> extracts/feeds for the systems that do.
>
> If they want to use JSON - "So you'll be wanting schemas and a
> standardized query language then won't you".
>
> Evangelize the idea of just-in-time data formats for some systems.
> Don't commit to a data format until the information is needed then
> transform it into it's required form. Yes it will be less performant
> but you will achieve better systems integration/interoperability and
> won't ever have to reverse engineer a lossy data translation due to an
> up-front committment to a one-way data format.

Sounds good so far. It does mean asking people to shed a security
blanket or two.

> Finally work on XUpdate or whatever it is that is going to perform
> that role so that it is as natural, obvious, familiar and standardized
> as SQL Update.

I have used XQuery Update in a super lightweight way -- in Saxon, as I
believe, in oXygen - and it works today. Unless I mistake you.

I believe you have already observed how well XSLT works inside an
XQuery database.

Cheers, Wendell

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables