Re: [xsl] Functional programming

Subject: Re: [xsl] Functional programming
From: "Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 13:20:49 -0000
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM, davep davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <

>  Many functional programming
> books begin by focusing on the more difficult concepts such as
> recursion and immutability.

They are not more difficult, they are just different

> This book lets you dive right in to
> functional programming by teaching the most useful implementation
> concepts first.

It would be fascinating (illuminating I doubt it) to discover what concepts
the author considers to be more useful than recursion and immutability.

Forgive the skepticism but every time I have bought an FP book not written
by an academic (i.e Practical this or Pragmatic that) I have regretted it.

It's either golly gosh wow look at this new powerful stuff, or much like
imperative programming books it's a very subjective take on what functional
programming should be about.

With very few exceptions  the best books on learning FP were all written at
least 10 years ago.