Re: [xsl] F & O 3.0 -- serialize() function question

Subject: Re: [xsl] F & O 3.0 -- serialize() function question
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 20:28:48 -0000
The result of the serialize() function is a string (a sequence of characters)
but the Serialization spec defines a process whose output is a sequence of
octets, that is characters in a particular encoding.

To handle this difference, the spec suggests two possible approaches: either
skip the final stage of serialization, which turns characters into octets, or
reverse it, by turning the octets into characters. This is possible because
character encoding (turning characters into octets) is entirely lossless and
therefore reversible. The first approach (skipping the encoding phase) is of
course more efficient, but it might not be possible if the serializer is a
black-box component that doesn't support this mode of operation.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 1 Jun 2014, at 19:46, Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx