Re: [xsl] Re: "if-condition-return something" idiom : is it possible in XSLT 1 ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: "if-condition-return something" idiom : is it possible in XSLT 1 ?
From: "Kerry, Richard richard.kerry@xxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:11:32 -0000
"you seem to want to replicate C++ programming idioms in XSLT. "

Not at all.

I thought of the process in those terms, as I am far more familiar with C/C++.
Having implemented part of the requirement in that way and found the result
unsatisfactory I'd like to know how better to do it.

"a verbose and ugly terrain"

That's what I've started seeing and led me to assume that it wasn't the best
way to do it - hence the question.

What I am doing is writing a callable template which will give dates in the
form yyyy-mm (y and m numeric) when given dates in a variety of formats
including those with strings for months (dd MMM yy, dd/mm/yyyy, mm/yy, and
many others).  So the input is a single string which needs to be tested
against a number of different formats and picked apart accordingly.  Perhaps I
can partly pick it apart then put the parts into a node-set and get a template
called on that.

"might look verbose"

I've got at least half a dozen input formats.  Before starting to consider
this if-condition-return idiom I was getting other ugly/verbose results.  If I
can get the language processor to do tests for me I'm happy to move to
many-templates.

Regards,

Richard.