Re: [xsl] What implementations of XPath 3.0 exist at present?

Subject: Re: [xsl] What implementations of XPath 3.0 exist at present?
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:49:19 -0000
According to the Altova online help text, they currently support the whole of
XPath 3.0 and XQuery 3.0, while support for XSLT 3.0 is confined to
xsl:evaluate, try/catch, maps, and text value templates.

Such a shame that they are never around to answer questions directly.

Michael Kay
Saxonica
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx
+44 (0118) 946 5893

On 12 Jul 2014, at 16:16, Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you Michael,
>
> Based on the results from the provided link, there are these five
> different implementations of XPath 3.0 (three of them are
> implementations of XQuery 3.0), which have reported test results:
>
>     BaseX 7.7
>
>     EMC/xDB xDB_main_r2411365
>
>     Saxon-EE 9.5.1.1
>
>     XmlPrime 3.0.0.0
>
>     Zorba 2.9
>

> Also, thanks to the reply by Adam Retter:
>
>     eXist supports XQuery 3.0 natively, and by virtue of embedding
> Saxon also XSLT 3.0.
>

> There was also a hint that other implementations might exist (Altova
> mentioned explicitly) that haven't reported their test results.
>
> In addition here is a compacted copy of the xml-dev reply by John
> Cowan, which adds data about Mark Logic and throws more light on the
> level of support provided by some implementations to XSLT and XQuery
> 3.0, and also whether or not they are open source -- the data on Saxon
> has been obsoleted by Michael Kay's reply that the forthcoming "major
> Saxon release (9.6) will include full support for the basic
> conformance level of both specs in the open source HE product. (Note
> that the basic conformance level excludes higher order functions.)".
>

>       Saxon 9 (XSLT 3.0 and XQuery 3.0)
>       Proprietary version provides XSLT 3.0 and XQuery 3.0; the
> open-source version provides XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 1.0.
>
>       Mark Logic (XQuery 3.0, ??XSLT 3.0??)
>       Proprietary only; partial XQuery 3.0, XSLT unknown version.
>
>       BaseX  (XQuery 3.0, ??XSLT 3.0??)
>       Open source; XQuery 3.0; XSLT available outboard only
>
>       Zorba ???
>       Open source; XQuery 3.0; no XSLT.
>
>       ExistDb ???
>      Open source; partial XQuery 3.0;.XSLT available outboard only.
>    These are just the result of quick surveys, and may be out of date.
>

> Thanks to all who have responded -- now we have a better picture.
>
> Cheers,
> Dimitre
>
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 12:36 AM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Reported results for the XQuery/XPath 3.0 test suite can be found here:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/2011/QT3-test-suite/ReportingResults/
>>
>> Of course, not all implementors choose to submit their results (Altova
never does, for example), and some implementors may have progressed since
these reports were produced.

>> Now that XPath 3.0 and XQuery 3.0 have reached recommendation status, the
next major Saxon release (9.6) will include full support for the basic