[xsl] XSLT vs Web Components

Subject: [xsl] XSLT vs Web Components
From: "Matthew L. Avizinis matt@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:46:13 -0000
Hello all,
One of the primary uses of XSLT is transforming xml to html, it seems
like.  I don't have data handy, but based on what I've read on this list
over the past dozen years or so, seems like a reasonable enough conclusion.
I've recently been reading about X-Tags, Polyfil, Web Components, etc.,
and tinkering with it. (for instance, x-tags.org, webcomponents.org, and
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps/Tools_and_frameworks/x-tags).
It seems like pretty cool stuff and it occurs to me that by using it one
could pretty much eliminate the use of xslt for such transformation, if
I understand it correctly.  From my own perspective, it occurred to me
that an xul and xslt based xml editor (from the now-hibernated Etna) and
content management system interface I was working on for my employer
until about a year ago, could instead be refactored using web components.
1) Do you think the web components concept will catch on widely?  2)
will they be supported by browser developers natively eventually, do you
suppose? and finally, 3) do you think it will as a result have a major
effect on the use of xslt, resulting in it's decline?
Thank you in advance as always for your considered and often witty
observations.
--
Regards,
/Matthew L. Avizinis/