Re: [xsl] XSLT vs Web Components

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT vs Web Components
From: "Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 19:34:16 -0000
Repeating a part of my post that may have got snipped

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

> Well, one that I worked with was ICL QuickBuild, which was used by a few
> hundred mainframe users in the UK for generating transaction processing
> applications (some of them massive applications). It actually had many
> XSLT-like characteristics (which is what attracted me to XSLT when I first
> encountered it). A program was a declarative description of an entire user
> session, with all the management of session state taken care of behind the
> scenes. There were quite a few such languages - most, like this one, tied
> to particular hardware and software environments. Software AG's NATURAL is
> another example. I don't think any 4GL had more than about 3% of the
> market, and that's mainly what killed them - no standards, no critical mass.

They were all proprietary and restricted to 1 hardware manufacturer. Then
along came relational databases, open systems and PC's.

Additionally although they were all tied to databases SQL was the NKOTB so
it was too early to brand themselves NoSQL.