Re: [xsl] xsltproc -maxdepth

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsltproc -maxdepth
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 12:20:35 -0000
Heinrich Nbongo heinrich_nbongo@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I admit, haven't dealt with xslt for a long time. However, I bumped into
this option "xsltproc -maxdepth", and couldn't find a sufficient
information of what exactly it controls ("max. template stack depth" -
which doesn't mean nothing to me). Could any provide me with more info
of which problem is solves (ok, max nr of recursion, but recursion of
what exactly?) , and how exactly it has been solved.

Think of apply-templates as a recursive method or function call. For instance with the input being

<root>
  <section>
    <division>
      <division>
        <division>
          <division>This is a test.</division>
        </division>
      </division>
    </division>
  </section>
</root>

the stylesheet

<xsl:template match="root">
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="section">
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="division">
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

outputs

Now when I intentionally set --maxdepth 5 xsltproc aborts the transformation with an error message

xsltApplyXSLTTemplate: A potential infinite template recursion was detected.
You can adjust xsltMaxDepth (--maxdepth) in order to raise the maximum number of nested template calls and variables/par
ams (currently set to 5).
Templates:
#0 name division
#1 name division