Re: [xsl] Table structure checking, how?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Table structure checking, how?
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 20:04:34 -0000
Hi again,

I should have continued to read to the end of the thread, which makes
me wish to stress my solution is perhaps worth looking at *if only for
comparison purposes with others* -- where it might show we have
approached things similarly, for example.

Cheers, Wendell

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Michael,
>
> Take a look here:
>
> https://github.com/wendellpiez/JATSPreviewStylesheets
>
> (If you have trouble seeing it let me know.)
>
> In particular you can see code inside the Schematron branch, although
> you will also need the XSLT branch.
>
> Its approach is to create a normalized expanded version of the table
> against which rules can be checked. Then your actual table elements
> (rows and cells) can refer into the expansion, as a kind of map. (So,
> the Schematron can call XPath as supplemented by XSLT.) This includes
> indicators of cell row and column coverage as well as creation of the
> ghost table cells that are a notable feature of OASIS/CALS tables.
>
> If nothing else this may be worth looking at. You may need to tweak
> your settings in Schematron to allow-foreign elements (for the XSLT
> bits).
>
> Enjoy,
> Wendell
>

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Michael MC<ller-Hillebrand
> mmh@xxxxxxxxx <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> We came across a CALS table with a "missing" cell in the first row, like
this:

>> <tgroup cols="2">
>>   <tbody>
>>     <row>
>>       <!-- MISSING second column cell -->
>>     </row>
>>     <row>
>>       <!-- skipped first cell because of morerows -->
>>     </row>
>>   </tbody>
>> </tgroup>
>>
>> This table is technically valid, but creates problems when processed
further.

>> Are you aware of a tool or method to check that the table data is correct
regarding any available colspan or rowspan definitions? I fear there is no way
to have that checked using just e.g. XPath.

>> My next step would be to look at Andrew Welch's table normalizer, which I
have used in a number of projects. It is currently based on the assumption
that the first row of a table is complete (after expanding any colspan
definitions).