Re: [xsl] XPath 2.0 expression that detects a cycle of references?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath 2.0 expression that detects a cycle of references?
From: "Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 04:41:11 -0000
>> Dimitre has an article on using two anonymous function together with "let",
to implement the recursion:

https://dnovatchev.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/recursion-with-anonymous-inline-f
unctions-in-xpath-3-0-2/

> Wow, 2012! And mentioning Roger Costellob&

There are two other places where this technique was presented:

[1] Balisage 2013, "Programming in XPath 3.1"

[2] The Evolution of XPath: Whatbs New in XPath 3.0 -- a video
training course at Pluralsight, 2013

Programming in pure XPath is a powerful way of producing valuable
modules that are completely portable and independent of any
vendor-specific XSLT or XQuery processors -- thus achieving maximum
spread and (re)usability regardless of platform or programming
language. This could be one reason why XSLT/XQuery vendors -- even
those who are aware of this --  rarely, if at all, mention XPath
programming... :)

Roger certainly knows about this technique, because he was de facto a
co-author of [1]. This is why he specifically asks about an XPath 2.0
solution.

The technique described in [1] and [2] was used (in a comprehensive
example) for implementing, instantiating and using a new,
custom-defined data-type in XPath 3.0 -- the Binary Search Tree
datatype.

While the Balisage paper was limited in time, the Pluralsight course
dedicates a single, 40-minutes module on XPath 3.0 programming,
preceded by another 17 minutes+  single clip on implementing recursion
using anonymous functions in XPath 3.0.

Links:

[1] Paper:
http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol10/html/Novatchev01/BalisageVol10-Nova