Re: [xsl] I output a tab character, then the output file contains space, tab, space ... why?

Subject: Re: [xsl] I output a tab character, then the output file contains space, tab, space ... why?
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:21:08 -0000
On 08.04.2016 17:13, Costello, Roger L. costello@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

In the below XSLT program I loop over each value in a sequence and separate
the sequence values by a tab (hex 9) character. When I open the output file in
a hex editor I see 3 characters separating the sequence values: space (hex
20), tab (hex 9), and space (hex 20). Why am I getting those space characters?
How do I avoid getting them?  /Roger

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="2.0">

<xsl:output method="text" />

     <xsl:variable name="headers" select="('A', 'B')"/>
     <xsl:variable name="field-separator"
select="codepoints-to-string(9)"/>

<xsl:template match="/"> <xsl:for-each select="$headers"> <xsl:sequence select="." /> <xsl:sequence select="$field-separator"/> </xsl:for-each>

As for the reason, see
https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#constructing-complex-content and item 3 saying

Any consecutive sequence of strings within the result sequence is
converted to a single text node, whose string value contains the content
of each of the strings in turn, with a single space (#x20) used as a
separator between successive strings.

---