Re: [xsl] XSLT or static site generator

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT or static site generator
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 20:54:46 -0000
I think it is just a matter of awareness. XSLT has been well suited to this since it was released in 1999. Too many myopic Java programmers (and their managers) not considering there might be another language out there designed for processing XML and producing markup results.

I'm not familiar with Pelican but I can testify to often using XML and XSLT to create static HTML pages that are being delivered. My web sites are done this way with site maps in XML expressing dependencies and XSLT synthesizing ANT scripts that do piecemeal updates of the server of only pages that have changed since the last update:

http://CraneSoftwrights.com

I'm doing some volunteer work in Africa using this model of XML/XSLT to HTML/CSS:

http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/tembonetwork.htm

Regarding your comment about browsers lacking newer features, you can also consider running XSLT in the browser using Saxon/CE ... I have an example running here:

http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/Crane-UBL-Skeleton/

I've been trying to preach XSLT since the beginning ... some people refuse to listen.

. . . . . Ken