Re: [xsl] where to look for xsl folk..

Subject: Re: [xsl] where to look for xsl folk..
From: "Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 21:09:30 -0000
On Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 04:43:00PM -0000, adam adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit:
> i also ran a series of tests because i was particularly focused on

Tests are good.

> avoiding char loss. The tests looked good but if you have any cases where
> you know char loss happens I'd be very interested to learn more ...

I don't mean "character loss in the sense of something going silently
wrong in the XSLT toolchain"[1]; I mean "loss in the sense of `not
matching the special case we didn't know about'". (or "what we thought
was covering all the cases in that complex XPath doesn't", and so on.)
With a lot of input documents and complex formatting -- which may not be
the case, but you mentioned academic formatting, which my biases expect
to be worse than legal -- and cases of deliberate addition or deletion
(list decoration being explicit instead of automatic, say; the word
"chapter" in headings going from explicit to being supplied by a
stylesheet, etc.) can make automatic checking very tricky.  And if the
project lives for awhile, something that fixes today's bug can manage to
ignore some elements in last quarter's input, should that ever be run
again.

-- Graydon

[1] be very very careful of third party tools that write MS Office file
formats, though.