[xsl] Applying style sheet to xml obtained via URL

Subject: [xsl] Applying style sheet to xml obtained via URL
From: "Michele R Combs mrrothen@xxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:36:45 -0000
I have a URL that returns an xml file from our library catalog (for example,
http://summit.syr.edu:7014/vxws/GetHoldingsService?bibId=2257667) .  I want to
set up a simple form where someone can enter the URL (actually I just want
them to enter the BIBID -- those last 7 numbers -- then I'll construct the
full URL), then click "submit" to display the XML with a specified XSL style
sheet applied to it.  Is there an easy way to do this?

I know how to do html forms, but I'm not sure of the best way to script the
"meat" of it.  I googled around a bit and found this javascript
http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_client.asp -- if I understand correctly, my
form would have to pass the URL to this page as a variable, to be used in this
line:

xml = loadXMLDoc("[variable would go here]")

Is that the best way to go, or is there a simpler method?

Thanks --

Michele
+++++++++
Michele Combs | Lead Archivist