Re: [xsl] XSLT 2: Best Way to Synthesize Elements Given List of Tagnames

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2: Best Way to Synthesize Elements Given List of Tagnames
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:46:06 -0000
At 2016-11-05 16:19 +0000, Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Say I have this string: "foo/bar" (or any arbitrarily-long sequence of
/-delimited tag names) and want to construct from it:

<foo>
  <bar>
    <!-- Stuff added here that I get from somewhere else -->
  </bar>
</foo>

Is there an easier or more obvious way to generate this than an recursive
function?

I think not. Any function acting on the members of the sequence in sequence will finish a given member (thus closing out the element) before handling the next member.

With a recursive function I can easily create child elements until the
sequence is exhausted but it feels like there should be an easier way
using XSLT 2 but if there is I'm not thinking of it.

I can't either, since you have to process the next member before finishing of any given member. But that next member will have its own next member.

Off the top I can't think of anything that isn't recursion.

-- Check our site for free XML, XSLT, XSL-FO and UBL developer resources | Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training @US$45: http://goo.gl/Dd9qBK | Crane Softwrights Ltd. _ _ _ _ _ _ http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ | G Ken Holman _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Google+ blog _ _ _ _ _ http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/posts | Legal business disclaimers: _ _ http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |