Re: [xsl] saxon:next-in-chain and memory usage

Subject: Re: [xsl] saxon:next-in-chain and memory usage
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 13:01:52 -0000
I remember at some stage doing some work to ensure that saxon:next-in-chain
released memory from one stylesheet before running the next, but I haven't
checked that this is the case today, and there have been considerable changes
in the way it's implemented. And in any case 9.1 is a pretty old release. I
would encourage you to use a different pipelining technology, for example
XProc.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 9 Nov 2016, at 12:57, Frederik Fouvry frederik.fouvry@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hello,
>
> I am running a pipeline of XML transformations over an XML file of about
130Mb, using Saxon 9.1.0.5J and Java 1.8.0_112.  The pipeline is implemented
using saxon:next-in-chain.  It works fine as long as I have fewer than about
five steps, but when I have five or more, then Java runs out of memory,
regardless of the complexity of the style sheets (as the simplest, I tried the
identity transformation). Is this to be expected?  Is the result of each step
kept in memory? Or is it due to something else?

> Giving Java more memory seems to help in some cases, but because the size of
the file can vary a lot (mostly it will be smaller, but in some cases, it may
be bigger), that is not a scalable solution.