Re: [xsl] Cannot mix nodes and atomic values - how comes?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Cannot mix nodes and atomic values - how comes?
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:58:18 -0000
Hi,

Indeed, there are those who have been heard to suggest that providing
attribute defaults in a schema is poor architecture. Maybe the only
reason schema languages offer the feature at all is ultimately an
historic one -- and providing attribute values (even nominally
'default' values) is a transformation, isn't it? Even if your position
is not so extreme, there are certainly occasions not to want to use
the mechanism - and a price to be paid when it is used badly. (Who has
not cursed the HTML document littered with @rect attributes?)

Then too XSLT (back on topic) can mitigate these problems but not (as
MMH implies) solve them, since values declared as schema defaults have
a way of 'reinfecting' documents when you don't really want to see
them.

Cheers, Wendell

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 4:59 AM, Michael MC<ller-Hillebrand
mmh@xxxxxxxxx <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 12.11.2016 um 14:07 schrieb Mukul Gandhi gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx
> <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> The idea I've illustrated is, getting a default value of an attribute from
> an XSD Schema document (which is accessible from an XSLT stylesheet in a
> schema aware transformation scenario).
>

> Thanks a lot for your comments.
>
> In our situation a default attribute value is not something we want to have
> in the DTD or XML Schema, because then it would be stored in the XML
> instance sooner or later.
>
> As an example, take e.g. the CALS table cell attributes @rowsep and
@colsep:
> They may be set to "0" | "1" (or: "no" | "yes") to explicitly turn off or
on
> the respective cell border. If not set, the settings from the row or
colspec
> are used. In such a situation a stored default value would not be useful,
> because there is an indeterminate third status. But in a certain
> transformation you may have an effective default value. That is what we
have
> been using here.
>
> - Michael
>

> XSL-List info and archive