[xsl] In XSLT 3.0, should the "document" function be available in xsl:evaluate?

Subject: [xsl] In XSLT 3.0, should the "document" function be available in xsl:evaluate?
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 14:35:34 -0000
Both the latest internal draft of the XSLT 3.0 spec in https://www.w3.org/XML/Group/qtspecs/specifications/xslt-30/html/#dynamic-xpath as well as the official https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#element-evaluate say about the function signatures in the context of dynamic XPath evaluation using xsl:evaluate: "Note that this set deliberately excludes XSLT-defined functions in the standard function namespace".

Based on that I would expect the XSLT "document" function not to be available in dynamic XPath evaluation using xsl:evaluate. So I wrote a test case doing

<xsl:stylesheet version="3.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions";
xmlns:math="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions/math";
xmlns:array="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions/array";
xmlns:map="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions/map";
exclude-result-prefixes="array fn map math xs">

<xsl:output method="xml"/>

<xsl:template name="main" match="/">
<xsl:sequence
select="
let $f := function-lookup(xs:QName('fn:document'), 1)
return
if (exists($f)) then
$f('')
else
'not found'"/>
<xsl:variable name="path" as="xs:string">
let $f := function-lookup(xs:QName('fn:document'), 1)
return
if (exists($f)) then
$f('')
else
'not found'</xsl:variable>
<xsl:evaluate xpath="$path"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

and expected that to return the stylesheet code for the xsl:sequence and 'not found' for the xsl:evaluate.

However, only Exselt gives me that result, both Saxon 9.7 EE as well as Altova XMLSpy return the stylesheet code twice which seems to indicate they make the 'document' function available to xsl:evaluate. Isn't that a bug? Or does the spec need to allow it if an implementer wants to go beyond pure XPath support?