Re: [xsl] XPath string comparison of two strings representing calendar dates ... any counterexamples?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath string comparison of two strings representing calendar dates ... any counterexamples?
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:51:13 -0000
> Note that I am doing mere string comparison. I am comparing the string
'20170817' against the string '20170816'.

> Will the XPath always work?

It will always work if the dates are valid dates in the Gregorian calendar
between years 0 and 9999, always represented by 4 digits, and if your default
collation isn't something pathological where digits collate out of order.

(Come to think of it, it's not totally pathological for a collation to ignore
leading zeroes in an all-numeric string, so perhaps you're only safe with
dates from 1000AD to 9999AD)

Michael Kay
Saxonica