Re: [xsl] ceiling(), floor(), and data types

Subject: Re: [xsl] ceiling(), floor(), and data types
From: "Alain Couthures alain.couthures@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:37:10 -0000
Fully supporting xs:integer or xs:decimal would need for implementers
to support arithmetics with infinite precision while, usually,
programming language just allow int, long,..., float, double (even just
double for Javascript, actually, while COBOL is smarter!).

Then, specifically for ceiling() or floor(), if the parameter is a huge
double with precision > 10, those cannot return better than the parameter
itself as a double, don't you think?

Alain Couthures
agenceXML

  Le 14 septembre 2017 ` 12:30, "Birnbaum, David J djbpitt@xxxxxxxx"
  <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a icrit :

  Dear XSL List,
  I was surprised to learn today that ceiling() and floor() do not obligatorily
  return a value of type xs:integer. If I've understood correctly that
  they necessarily return a value that a human would consider an
  integer, is there a reason that other return types are permitted?
  Thanks,
  David

XSL-List info and archiveEasyUnsubscribe (by email)