[xsl] construct dynamic replacement value in replace()?

Subject: [xsl] construct dynamic replacement value in replace()?
From: "Birnbaum, David J djbpitt@xxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 17:33:23 -0000
Dear xsl-list,

I know how to accomplish this with XSLT string surgery, but is there an XPath
or XQuery way to calculate the replacement value of the replace() function?
The following (broken) XQuery expresses the general aspiration, although not
the reality:

declare function local:stuff($input) {
     let $result := number($input) + 10
     return xs:string($result)
     };
let $initial := '1 Tim. 4:123'
return replace($initial, '\d+', local:stuff('$0'))

The desired output would be '11 Tim. 14:133', that is, each sequence of digits
would be regarded as a discrete decimal numerical value, captured as the match
with '$0', and passed to the local:stuff() function, where it would be
converted to a number. augmented by 10, converted back to a string (since the
replacement part of the replace() function must be a string), and returned.
The actual output, alas, is 'NaN Tim. NaN:NaN'. Before I give up and do it in
XSLT, I would be grateful for any pointers toward an XPath or XQuery
solution.

Best,

David