Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook

Subject: Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 02:22:44 -0000
On Thu, 2018-01-18 at 02:00 +0000, Vasu Chakkera vasucv@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:
> Thanks Liam..
> So is there a good reason to use xsl fo instead of princeXML ..Or
> vice versa?

If you have complex multi-page tables with repeated headers and footers
you'll probably get further with the XSL:FO stylesheets. The main
reasons to use CSS as i see it are
(1) if the CSS (or CSS knowledge) overlaps with other projects it might
be easier for you to work on (and there are more resources for learning
it)
(2) if you want to use new features that aren't in XSL-FO... but watch
that neither PrinceXML nor AntennaHouseFormatter will have the very
latest browser CSS features.

> I would have thought that there are ready made xslts available for
> docbook
> So a little bit of a style guide is all we need for look and feel ?

There are indeed off-the-shelf style sheets. Again, it depends on your
specific needs as to what's best.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, SVG WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/