Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook

Subject: Re: [xsl] Prince XML vs Docbook
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 17:39:29 -0000
Hi Eliot --

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 10:54 AM, Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> However, CSS is so much easier to work with and is so much more accepted
that the cost in functionality and spec fuzziness is far outweighed by the
ability to use less-specialized personnel to do the styling work.

Actually, I see it a bit differently. CSS is bperceivedb to be easier to
work with, and people who CLAIM CSS expertise are far easier to find and hire.
However, CSS for print is no easier to work with than FO, and most people
hired for their CSS expertise find that they need to learn a lot in order to
make even reasonable quality pages using CSS.

I have been recommending that many users adopt the CSS to print approach not
because it is better (it is not), or because it is easier (it is not), or
because you need less specialize skills to do it (you do not), but because it
is more palatable in the marketplace because it is easier to evolve the
skilled personnel needed from people with a related skill (CSS for soft
display).

b Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML