Re: [xsl] How to process a sequence of any type as input of a transformation?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to process a sequence of any type as input of a transformation?
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 16:04:27 -0000
In Saxon you can process a sequence of items using xsl:apply-templates (as the
"initial match selection") using the API

Xslt30Transformer.applyTemplates(XdmValue, Destination)

However, this is limited to processing the items in the input sequence
one-by-one, independently of each other, with no special processing at the
start or end of the sequence, so it's probably not that useful in practice.
And it's not available from the command line.

I suspect that in most cases it's actually simpler to do the same as you would
do in XSLT 2.0, which is to have an initial named template as your entry
point, and pass the input sequence as a stylesheet parameter which that
template then processes. One minor convenience is that you can now pass it as
a template parameter (a tunnel parameter, if you wish) rather than a global
parameter.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 12 Jun 2018, at 16:39, Olivier Jeulin olivier.jeulin.work@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Hello,
>
> according to http://www.exselt.net/features/new-in-xslt-30/
<http://www.exselt.net/features/new-in-xslt-30/>
> bAny sequence of any type can be the input for the transformation, not
just a document.b

> I haven't found a clear statement of that in the norm, but I'd like to use
this feature (using Saxon, so if the solution is specific, we can switch to
the Saxon mailing list).