Re: [xsl] Ant XSLT task issues - redo

Subject: Re: [xsl] Ant XSLT task issues - redo
From: "Dave Pawson dave.pawson@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:52:43 -0000
You might have an early / optional ant task to remove 'nuisance' files
(e.g. xslt output)
which should get over the 'ah don't bother' aspect?

HTH

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 15:49, Bauman, Syd s.bauman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I am an ant newbie also trying to run XSLT from within ant (particularly on
lots of input files in parallel), so I cannot contribute much to help you. But
one thought does jump to  mind:

> I discovered that the xslt task had an optimization feature, that if the
stylesheet or content hadn't changed, it skipped running.

> To my (limited) understanding, this is not an optimization, it is the main
point of a build system like make or ant (or I suppose gradle or maven, but I
have not yet used those): it only does the work that is needed. Otherwise
might as well just use a shell script. p

> ________________________________
>
> I posted her as an XSLT adjacent question. I figured if anyone was using ant
with xslt it would be here.

> Since posting, I continued to work on the problem. For the record, I dropped
the use of the xslt task and switched to the Java task to run my stylesheets.
For whatever reason, I was having issues with getting a catalog resolver to
work with the  xslt task. The ant error was a generic I/O message which I
discovered was an issue about not finding the DTD. After switching to Java, I
discovered that the xslt task had an optimization feature, that if the
stylesheet or content hadn't changed, it skipped running. I never verified,
but that added to the flakiness I was experiencing. I  also reviewed my
stylesheet and remembered the use of collection() that was causing it to read
all the files. I still can't explain why ut kept trying to process a PDF file,
when I restricted it to find *.xml and *.dita files.

> I was also talking with oxygen support about their transform interface and
some of the odd things there. So far no explanation, but seems to be working
now. I was experiencing an issue where the ant script wasn't running at all.
Then I discovered that none of the transforms even the other ones were not
executing.

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.