[xsl] Re: Seek an XPath expression which concatenates an arbitrary number of strings

Subject: [xsl] Re: Seek an XPath expression which concatenates an arbitrary number of strings
From: "Roger L Costello costello@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:11:36 -0000
Hi Folks,

Thank you for your replies. The string-join solution works fine.

But, but, but,  ...

Why doesn't my XPath work: concat(for $i in //binary-value return $i)

I thought that I was simply employing XPath's "composable language"
capability.

The XPath specification says this:

      XPath is a composable language

What does that mean?

It means that every operator and language construct allows any XPath
expression to appear as its operand.

So, what that means to me is that I can call the concat function:

concat(...)

and then inside the parentheses the entire XPath functionality is available to
me. Right?

Well, here is a fine XPath expression:

for $i in //binary-value return $i

Then, per the "composable language" capability I will embed that for-loop
inside the call to concat:

concat(for $i in //binary-value return $i)

But that doesn't work. Is XPath truly a composable language? If so, why
doesn't my XPath work?

/Roger