[stella] Tetris control

Subject: [stella] Tetris control
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 22:44:35 +0500
Here are my suggestions:

When moving the joystick left and right, when you HOLD the joystick, it should keep moving the piece.  It should not require extra taps.

Perhaps some extra "grace time" when a piece is lying flat so you can "slide" L-shaped pieces into place after they are on the ground.  That's how the arcade one works.

Also, I don't know how many rows and collumns wide standard Tetris is, but this one is a little cramped, it seems.  Are there any technical reasons why it can't be bigger?

And yes, the fast-fall mode should be a bit slower, and also allow movement of the piece left or right during the fall.  In the arcade Tetris, moving the piece during the fast-fall is the key to beating your opponent and winning a bonus round (time counts).

Speaking of which, a 2-player mode would be welcome.

How does this compare to Edtris?

It would be nice to hear 2600 sound doing the regular Russiany Tetris theme with all those out-of-tune notes.

Still, very playable, and the animation is smooth.  I can deal with the fact that the pieces are monochrome.  Maybe at least making the active moving piece a different color until it is absorbed would be feasible.  Full multicolor might be possible with the right use of sprites.

Hopefully this will encourage other programming.