[stella] Socketed cartridge

Subject: [stella] Socketed cartridge
From: "J. Grand" <smooth@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:27:33 -0500 (EST)
Hi.. This isn't directly related to the Supercharger, but it does have to
do with Atari development..

I don't have a Supercharger and am trying to develop my first program for
the 2600. I used a cartridge and wired a socket in place of the ROM for
an EPROM or EEPROM. I made sure to connect the correct address pins,
invert the chip select, etc. I used 2-3 inch wire wrap wires to connect
the socket to the PCB or the cartridge. As a test, I used a 2716 (2K)
EPROM programmed with Kaboom!, so I know the binary is good. When I power
on the Atari, I either get blank, or just weird lines, etc. like the data
is being loaded incorrectly. Just once, by sheer luck, it seemed to have
loaded Kaboom!

I thought it might be the speed of the EPROM, but I didn't think it
should matter at such slow processor speeds.. The same with crosstalk
from wirewrap wires, I didn't think the speed would be a factor..

So, basically, has anyone done this before? There doesn't seem to be a
reason why using a socketed cartridge wouldn't work, so any ideas? I'm
planning to find a Supercharger eventually, but for now,p this will be a
fairly good alternative.

Thanks!

Joe
smooth@xxxxxxxxxx