Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Songbird <forhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 07:56:47 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Nick S Bensema wrote:

> Nobody really has incentive, other than the approval of others, or the
> experience of creating something.  That's what I'm in it for.  If anyone
> is programming the 2600 looking to make any amount of money, they're sick
> in the head.

If anyone thinks they're going to get rich off of 2600 programming, that
won't happen.  But they could very well make $1-500 off of selling 50-100
copies (given that they have the resources to burn eproms, etc.).  That's
a decent incentive, IMHO.

> Another thing that might stifle 2600 programmers is that everything
> we want to do has either already been done, or is impossible on the
> 2600 without some real magic.

There are a few ideas that I think would be possible but have not been
done yet.  How about a split screen game, like BallBlazer or maybe
2-player Enduro?  Even the 2-player Tetris that was mentioned would be a
good idea (I wish Edtris had a 2-player mode!).  Also, the 2600 is in
dire need of more 4-player games, using the paddles, of course.  How
about a 4-player River Raid?  Or a space race sort of game?  Or a 2-on-2
Air-Sea Battle?

Anyway, for the record, I will not be programming a 2600 in the near
future.  Much like Mike just indicated, I'm working on a more modern
platform (the Lynx), which will still give me a solid 65C02 programming
base, but allow me to work with 64K RAM instead of 128 bytes. =)  I also
do not have a convenient method of getting 2600 programs from my PC to a
real console.

Perhaps in the future I will try my hand at a 2600 game, but it will not
be this year.

I still think the SuperCharger CD is a phenomonal product, and worth
every penny I spent.

Carl Forhan    <><
Vindicator Online:  http://www.millcomm.com/~forhan/vindicator.html