Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Songbird <forhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:15:09 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> That's fine, but I wouldn't sell games on the fragile tape format, rather a
> PC floppy disk.  Plus with these games you have to worry about piracy since
> audio or bin, it can all wind up as traded bins so it becomes problematic
> to exclusively _sell_ new wares.  The shareware concept makes more sense to
> me based on my experience with the Atari8 and Amiga camps.  The advantages
> are clear.  Easy mass distribution on the internet with an ASCII
> registration form attached, then hope and pray for the money to come in.
> Then you don't have to run a business on the side.

OK, I'll admit that a shareware idea could be doable, especially if you
could release a "limited" version of the game.  And you could still get
some money from those who want the full game or those who feel obligated
to pay up, even if you provide the full game.

Either way (unless you give up on taking money altogether), you need to
fill out the appropriate federal tax forms -- I'm already going through
that just this week for 1996.  If you can demonstrate that you've got a
home-based business, it is worth it IMHO.

> It takes enough time to program these games.  Running a home-business is an
> added frustration and most often not worth the time considering the limited
> returns.  There are other more convenient ways to make money.  Not only
> shareware, but compilation CDs put out by a 3rd party.

A compilation CD would be cool.

> Mistakes in the planning phases on one of these can result in net losses or
> being left with a lot of unsellable overstock.
>
> According to my business experience in this area, I don't think selling
> tapes is a wise risk.

Tapes are certainly not the greatest or fastest medium to use, but I was
thinking more of a "make one at a time" anyway.  Even if the manual is
just a folded B&W photocopy, and the labels are handwritten.  I certainly
wouldn't want to spend hours and hours cranking out 2-300 only to find
out a couple dozen people wanted it!

Carl Forhan    <><
Vindicator Online:  http://www.millcomm.com/~forhan/vindicator.html