Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Bob Colbert <rcolbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 08:04:25 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> At 07:56 AM 3/3/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >If anyone thinks they're going to get rich off of 2600 programming, that
> >won't happen.  But they could very well make $1-500 off of selling 50-100
> >copies (given that they have the resources to burn eproms, etc.).  That's
> >a decent incentive, IMHO.

Regarding the comment that the cart market is dead as a doorknob:
Well, let me say that I can say from experience that this is not true.  I
made 100 Okie Dokies, and they went FAST.  I still get e-mails and snail
mails requesting carts, which I must forward to Randy Crihfield and Sean
Kelly.  People like cartridges because they are convenient.  Even though I
did release Okie Dokie as freeware, there was quite a demand for the
cartridge version of it.

As far as making money goes, I made a decent profit from my efforts.
Although if you factor in the time it took me to program the game and
produce the cartridges, I probably made minimum wage.

> There are only two reasons to still make carts:
>
> Aesthetics
> Banked ROM/extra RAM

You forgot collectability.  It's obvious that there will not be very many
more cartridge games produced for the 2600, and those that are are
desirable to collectors.  But be warned, making carts requires quite a bit
of overhead and TIME.  A CD version of a game would be much easier and
cheaper of course, but there would be no compelling reason for people to
buy it unless there were a large number of tracks or the packaging was
well done.

> >How
> >about a 4-player River Raid?  Or a space race sort of game?  Or a 2-on-2
> >Air-Sea Battle?

You hit my latest idea right on the head, I am investigating a 4 player
space race game right now.  I have developed an algorithm that goes a long
way towards making the game feasible, and will let you see it after I
optimize it a bit.

				Take Care,
					Bob